Short-Film: Anna’s day in one Minute

July 26, 2010

Shot w/ Canon 7D and one lens (Sigma 24-70 2.8). I wanted to test what you can do with really low budget. I only used a simple monopod and Manfrotto 501HDV Head. A longer film about the Frankonian folk festival Annafest will be online soon!

Background of film:
The Annafest is a Franconian folk festival held yearly about 26 July (St. Anna’s day) in the Kellerwald (“Cellar Wood”) – not to be confused with the Kellerwald in Hesse – in the town of Forchheim. The ten-day festival can draw as many as 500,000 visitors – more than 15 times the town’s population.

In 1516, in a small place called Unterweilersbach near Forchheim, a chapel was consecrated to St. Anna. The Forchheim townsfolk encouraged others to undertake pilgrimages to the site. On the way back, the pilgrims would stop for a rest in the Kellerwald to regain their strength with a bit of help from the beer cellar found there (which explains the wood’s name). The pilgrims’ kin, who had stayed behind, would come to the wood, bringing their family members food and drink. At that time, of course, the beer would also be drunk.

In 1840, when the Forchheim shooting club shifted its main shooting ground from the “shooting meadow” on the river Regnitz to the Kellerwald, the folk festival began to develop.

The local breweries Hebendanz, Greif, Eichhorn and Neder all brew a strong Bock beer specially for this festival, the so-called Annafestbier. This is stored for several weeks before the festival begins.

via: Wikipedia

View Comments

9 Responses to “Short-Film: Anna’s day in one Minute”

1. Arthur says:

Great work as always Sebastian.

2. Looks great!

How do you crop your output video to that aspect ratio, by the way?

3. J-dog says:

For a second, thought you were using an anamorphic lens, because of the letterbox. Looks good.

4. Mike says:

Thank you very much for this nice post; this is the kind of thing that keeps me going through the day. I’ve been looking around for this site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled when I was able to find it after searching for some time. Being an avid blogger, I’m pleased to see others taking initiative and contributing to the community. I just wanted to comment to show my appreciation for your work as it’s very encouraging, and many writers do not get the credit they deserve. I’m sure I’ll be back and will send some of my friends.

5. Hallo Sebastian,

ein toller Film, der zeigt, was auch mit kleinen Budgets möglich ist.
    Mich als “Film-Neuling” würde mich interessieren, mit welchen Einstellungen du bei diesem Film gearbeitet hast.

Liebe Grüße aus dem Saarland

6. Jeff Rodgers says:

Hey Sebastian,

This is a very broad question. I am wanting to get more serious about shooting motion with my 7D. Can you recommend some key items to start with?

To start with I will mainly be shooting video of the portrait sessions at our studio to post on the blog. I would love to do more as I get better.

In the image above, what is the load out you’re using?

Thanks in advance!

7. Sebastian Wiegärtner says:

Hey Jeff,
    this is a good question. If you want to start shooting with a Canon 7D, you should buy good lenses and a good tripod. You can go to my Amazon Gear Store, there you can find many lenses for your Canon 7D, which are perfect to shoot with!

Here you go:

8. Sebastian Wiegärtner says:

Hey Sebastian,
    my settings were normal ISO 160-800, 2.8 aperture and shutter-speed at 50. I recorded in 1080p/25 frames.

9. Sebastian Wiegärtner says:

Hey Pål,
    I cropped it in post to 1920 x 816!